How to Cook Brussels Sprouts


Ingredients:
  • Brussels sprouts
  • Black pepper, freshly cracked
  • Olive oil

Instructions:
  1. Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees F
  2. Rinse your Brussels sprouts and cut them in half. If you have larger ones, cut them into thirds so that all the pieces are of uniform size.
  3. Place a piece of aluminum foil on a baking sheet and arrange the sprouts on the sheet cut side up. They will shrink in the oven, so don't worry about spacing. Cram as many as you can on your one cookie sheet.
  4. Break out your pepper mill and liberally grind black pepper all over the Brussels sprouts. I like my sprouts my a nice bite to them, so don't be shy about your black pepper!
  5. Coat the baking sheet with extra virgin olive oil, or whatever flavorful vegetable oil you like.
  6. Put the sheet in the oven and bake until they have taken on an even golden brown color. Expect to have them in the oven for at least 20 minutes or so.
That's it! Roasted Brussels sprouts are one of the easiest things in the world to make, and they are delicious. Honestly, I could eat them like potato chips because they're that good.  Truthfully, this is more of a cooking guide than a recipe, because I think it's too simple to be a true recipe. Feel free to modify as you see fit in terms of flavor, but in my experience less is more when it comes to Brussels sprouts. I feel a bit blasphemous saying that because I add lots of spices to almost anything, but in this instance I think it's totally true.
Along that line, choosing high quality ingredients makes a big difference in final taste, but I've made this with frozen Brussels sprouts before and the end result was still delicious. Also, I don't cook with a lot of salt (stupid family history of hypertension) but some cracked sea salt or some kosher salt would be a great addition here.

Post a Comment

0 Comments