How to Improvise a Super Easy Homemade Pizza


Imagine, if you will, the scenario from whence this homemade pizza recipe came to exist. I was watching a movie with friends last Friday, and it was getting late. Towards the tail end of things, we were hit with hunger. The first instinct of my friends was to order in for food, in this case specifically pizza. But I couldn't allow that, seeing as I knew I could whip up something, even at this late hour.
Sure, my friends had their doubts, but that only served to fuel me making pizza even more. It's easier to just order pizza, they said, plus I didn't have any cheese around. Would I let their nay-saying deter me from making pizza? Of course not!
Now, of course, I faced a problem in that I didn't have an easy pizza recipe to turn to in this situation. Instead I decided to improvise. I grabbed some flour, some tomato sauce and some vegetables, and went to work.

Super Easy Homemade Pizza

Serves: 6
Cooking Time: About 10 minutes
Ingredients:
  • ½ cup whole wheat flour
  • ⅓ cup lukewarm water
  • ½ cup tomato sauce
  • 1 small jar roasted red peppers
  • 1 small green pepper, sliced
  • ¼ cup black olives, chopped
  • ¼ cup broccoli, chopped
  • 2-4 tablespoons garlic, to taste
  • 1-2 tablespoons dried basil
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1-2 teaspoons red chili flakes (optional)
  • Black pepper, freshly cracked
  • Olive oil
Instructions:
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees F.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour and the water to form a basic dough.
  3. Roll out the dough until about ¼-inch thick and spread over a greased baking sheet. Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce over the dough.
  4. Spread your vegetables over the sauce. Add the herbs over top and drizzle the pizza with some olive oil.
  5. Bake the pizza for about 10 minutes, until the crust is crispy and the vegetables on top begin to brown. Serve and enjoy.
Naturally, I was a bit nervous removing this homemade pizza from the oven. Did this actually work? Is it edible? I removed the pizza and cut it up into individual servings. I gave a piece from this easy pizza recipe to each of my friends and anxiously awaited the results.
So what were their thoughts on my homemade pizza experiment? It was universal acclaim, at least amongst the three of them. Truthfully, I was surprised by how well this turned out, even without any cheese available. This was my first real attempt at making pizza from scratch, and I don't know why I did wait this long. Making pizza is a fairly simple process. Take a grain base, add some sauce and toppings, and bake until done.
I hope the reasoning behind me making pizza again is different, but I will absolutely be turning to this basic easy pizza recipe again. Pizza is an incredibly versatile medium, and there are too many sauce, cheese and topping possibilities for me to decide on one next. I will say that I don't think I will be ordering a pizza anytime soon though.
Your Turn: Do you make your own pizza? What are your favorite pizza toppings?

Post a Comment

0 Comments